Professional Mission Statement
My professional mission is to deliver the highest level of legal services to my clients in an efficient and cost-effective manner. I do this by living the values below each and every day I practice law:
- I am passionate. I love what I do, and do it with conviction.
- I am creative. I approach legal matters with creativity, and am willing to blaze new trails where it suits my client's needs.
- I am tenacious. I have built a reputation as a fighter who tirelessly represents his clients' interests, both in and out of court.
- I am accessible. In order to be an effective advisor, I maintain open lines of communication with my clients, taking time to explain every step of the legal process.
- I am effective. My clients come to me with repeat business because I have helped them achieve their goals.
After growing up in South Lyon, Michigan, I worked my way through college, graduating summa cum laude with an A.B.A. in Business Administration from Oakland Community College in Farmington Hills, Michigan. From there, I transferred to Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan on a full academic scholarship, and graduated summa cum laude with a B.A. in Psychology. After completing my undergraduate education, I attended law school at Wayne State University Law School in Detroit, Michigan. There, I was a Senior Articles Editor for the Wayne Law Review and published two legal articles while pursuing my studies. I graduated first in my class, summa cum laude, and was admitted to the Order of the Coif, an honorary scholastic society that recognizes law students who attain a high degree of scholarship.
WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL
Juris Doctor, 2005
WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY
B.A., Psychology, 2002
OAKLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE
A.B.A., Business, 2000
- State Bar of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Following law school, I earned a prestigious judicial clerkship to the Honorable Ronald L. Gilman of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, in Memphis, Tennessee. There, I was exposed to a variety of areas of law and gained valuable experience in the inner workings of our nation's appellate courts.
From my clerkship, I returned to Ann Arbor, Michigan, where I worked for a Midwest-based law firm with more than 350 attorneys. After a number of years of working alongside some of the best and brightest lawyers in the state, I decided that I could deliver more value to my clients by providing the same high level of legal services in a more cost-effective manner. So, in 2009, I founded the Law Office of Joseph M. West, P.C. I have handled hundreds of transactional and litigation matters in the 10+ years I have been an attorney.
In addition to my thriving law practice, I have twice had the privilege of serving as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Wayne State University Law School, teaching Product Liability Law to upper-level students.
- Real Property Law Section
- Business Law Section
- Agricultural Law Section